Click for the latest Dalhart weather forecast.


Two men stabbed by 16-year-old

Posted by: tdt -

By Robin Scott

Officers Eloy Duran, James Webb and Patrick Yarbrough along with Detective Paul Rowell of the Dalhart Police Department responded to a report of an assault in the alley behind the 300 block of Elm Avenue on Friday, April 10th. The assault occurred near 8:15 p.m. When officers arrived, they learned that two men had left the scene and gone to the emergency room of Coon Memorial Hospital for treatment of stab wounds.

Upon arrival at the emergency room at the hospital, officers discovered that Ivan Montoya, age 18, and his brother Fernando Longoria, age 23, were both stabbed. The stabbings were reportedly the result of an assault upon a juvenile whose identity has been withheld by the Dalhart Police Department. The juvenile, a 16-year-old male, reported that he was attacked by the brothers as he walked in the alley behind Elm Avenue. Another youth that was walking with the boy attacked ran for help.

Several witnesses were transported to the Dalhart Police Department and interviewed. The witnesses and the two brothers reported that the 16-year-old boy was in a dating relationship with the 14-year-old little sister of the brothers that were stabbed. Det. Rowell commented, "The men found out that their sister was dating the boy, and confronted him when they saw him in the alley. They wanted to talk to the youth about their sister."

According to Det. Rowell, "A witness stated that the brothers had pinned the boy against a fence and also knocked him to the ground, pinned him down and hit him. The boy pulled out a knife and stabbed one of them while he was still being pinned down. The other was stabbed shortly after. The men stated that they tripped and fell against the boy, but were not trying to attack him." Another witness reported that the boy had been struck in the face. Longoria received injuries to his left hand, while Montoya was stabbed twice, once on the left side of his abdomen and once in his left thigh. Det. Rowell stated, "Both men required treatment of their wounds, and the boy was also treated in the emergency room with injuries to his shoulder and face."

Det. Rowell stated that an investigation is ongoing and more interviews would be taken before the case is presented to the District Attorney’s Office for a determination on what charges may be filed against the two brothers or the youth.

(Photo by Paul Rowell)