By ZELDA BETH LANG
Dalhart was incorporated in 1901 as the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway came west and intersected the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad.
Dalhart sits on the border of Dallam County, named for James W. Dallam, a lawyer for the Republic of Texas and Hartley County, named for Rufus and Oliver Hartley who were involved in establishing early Texas Laws. Dalhart takes its name from the first three letters of Dallam – Dal—and the first four letters of Hartley, Hart for Dalhart.
Other nearby towns, Amarillo was founded in 1887, its name coming from the first European settlers to the area. Led by Francisco Coronado in 1541, Spanish conquistadors were awed by the vast expanses of golden grasslands. In Spanish Amarillo means yellow.
Borger. In 1926 A. P. “Ace” Borger started selling plots after oil was discovered in the area. This launched one of the most famous oil boomtowns in Texas.
For the full story SUBSCRIBE to the online edition of The Dalhart Texan, call 244-4511 to setup a subscription to our physical paper or pick a copy up at one of our many convenient newsrack locations. You can also stop by and purchase a paper or subscription in person at our news office located at 410 Denrock Ave.