By TAMMI KATE LEDFORD
The quietness of Sunday afternoon was broken with several explosions and fire on Omaha Street. “There were at least six explosions,” stated one neighbor. The air filled with smoke from a fire in a large shed around 2:00 p.m. “The smell that came from the burning garage was horrific,” the neighbor added.
On lookers watched as Dalhart Fire Department Firefighters cautiously extinguished the blaze. Medical personnel from Dalhart Emergency Medical Services were on the scene along with police officers and the Dallam County Sheriff’s Office deputies.
The cause of the fire and total loss of the out building was residents cooking chicken on a grill, under the eave of the storage building. The explosions that were heard throughout the neighborhood were from tires stored in the building. According to Dalhart Fire Chief , Curtis Brown.
Fire in the grill, under hot dogs and burgers, is a welcome sight at the family cookout. But fire anywhere else can make your summer kick off barbecue memorable for all the wrong reasons. Outdoor cooking causes an average of 1,500 structure fires and 4,800 outdoor fires in or on home properties each year according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
For the full story SUBSCRIBE to the online edition of The Dalhart Texan, call 244-4511 to setup a subscription to our physical paper or pick a copy up at one of our many convenient newsrack locations. You can also stop by and purchase a paper or subscription in person at our news office located at 410 Denrock Ave.