Click for the latest Dalhart weather forecast.


Do you really need a license to drive in Texas?

Posted by: tdt -


Everyone in Dalhart either has one or has heard one, a horror story involving Department of Public Safety (DPS) and obtaining or renewing your Texas driver’s license. I myself seemed to have had it fairly easy, only seven trips, an attorney, a legal name change changing my name to my name that cost $500 and the help of everyone in my office and presto I had one. Well, I have a piece of paper saying I will get one by mail in two to three weeks.
Just because you think you have everything you need to obtain a license doesn’t mean that you’re really going to get a license. First and foremost, if you are transferring your license from another state, you have an immediate problem. You will first need your birth certificate, even if you have had a valid driver’s license for 40 years, give or take you will have to present a certified copy of your birth certificate. Next, you will need a social security card. And with this document it should be in perfect condition, if the card is older, scratched or appears to have been “altered” you will need your most current federal W-2 forms with your current address and your complete social security number on that document.

For the full story  SUBSCRIBE to the online edition of The Dalhart Texan, call 244-4511 to setup a subscription to our physical paper or pick a copy up at one of our many convenient newsrack locations. You can also stop by and purchase a paper or subscription in person at our news office located at 410 Denrock Ave.